Re: Gdk BadMatch with menus - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Gdk BadMatch with menus
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

>It's rumoured that Andreas Pflug once said:
>Hi Andreas,
>
>Not sure about the error itself, but rather than altering menus
>dynamically, please enable/disable options. It makes the program much
>easier for people to learn because they will see where options are whether
>or not they can actually use them at that point, rather than seeing an
>ever-changing menu which can leave people thinking 'I know I saw that
>option, but darned if I can find it now'.
>Regards, Dave.

Hi Dave,

in general, I agree that options should be enabled/disabled rather than
inserted/removed from the menu. In this case, I think it is reasonable
to deviate from this rule. The menu item "New Object" will always be
there, only the contents of it will change. The reason for this is quite
obvious: not possible to create it in this context.
The number of object types (well should we call it classes :-) is quite
big (total 26 at the moment), leaving only few submenu items selectable.
Maybe the menu should be changed to "New Object unter this", because
creating a similar object is already performed by "Create". I don't like
that nonselectable submenu in pgadmin2. It gets the user to believe that
there is possibly a moment where those objects could be created under
e.g. "Databases", though this will never happen.

In the meantime, I was able to narrow the problem, still leaving me
clueless.
The problem has nothing to do with the menu modification; I verified
this by creating a brand new menu on right click. There seems to be a
GTK problem with submenus in popup menus. If the "New Object" item is
touched with mouse over, the app will exit as soon as another item that
is not in the submenu (refresh, drop, ...) is touched.

Regards,
Andreas