Re: Testing castability of text to numeric - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Testing castability of text to numeric
Date
List pgsql-sql
Achilleus Mantzios wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2003, Christoph Haller wrote:
>

>>>I am trying to create a function that will test if a given text value
>>>may safely be cast to numeric, returning the numeric cast or null if
>>>impossible.
>>

> I think that progress is being made on
> having java as a serverside language
> (i.e. plpgjava).
> Stored procedures in java would be really handy in order
> to do staff like that, java is known for its
> "exceptional" exception handling!

It doesn't matter how exceptional Java's exception handling is.
PostgreSQL's exception handling is just like a black hole - once the
gravity got it, you won't get your transaction back ever.

The current effort on subtransactions might change that. But I'm not
sure what performance impact or other side effects it will have to
execute every single statement inside of a stored procedure as a
separate subtransaction just to have catchable exceptions.

Jan