NullPointerException while closing connection with connectionpool - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Jani Virta
Subject NullPointerException while closing connection with connectionpool
Date
Re: NullPointerException while closing connection with  (Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>)
List pgsql-jdbc
I have multiple threads writing log to db and once a while I get this
error  message, with a result of one connection freezing to "idle in
transaction" state.

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.optional.PooledConnectionImpl$ConnectionHandler.invoke(PooledConnectionImpl.java:230)
        at $Proxy0.close(Unknown Source)
        at config.logadd(config.java:154)

driver is latest (7.3 jdbc3 build 109)
jvm is sun j2re 1.4.1_02  with redhat 9
code I'm using for writing logs. Line 154 is conn.close();

static public void logadd(String s) {
        try {
            Connection conn = datasource.getConnection();
            String insert="INSERT INTO log (time, entry) VALUES ((SELECT
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP), '"+s+"')";
            Statement logstmt = conn.createStatement();
            logstmt.executeUpdate(insert);
            logstmt.close();
            conn.close();
        } catch (SQLException e) {
            System.out.println("Tried to write : "+s+"\nlog write
failed. exception "+e);
        }
}

Any thoughts? Looks like a threading problem since this happens until I
have max number of connections open and all but one connection in "idle
in transaction" state.

-jani