Re: PL/Java (was: stored procedures) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Petre Scheie
Subject Re: PL/Java (was: stored procedures)
Date
Re: PL/Java (was: stored procedures)  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
My DBA and I looked at the link on using SQL for stored procedures
(thanks Neil!) and he raised a couple concerns:

1. In the example given, the query is directed at just one table; he
says he needs to join multiple tables, and have it return a set.  Can PG
do this?

2.  The docs say this ability to return a set is deprecated and may be
removed in a future release.  Why is that?  Has this functionality been
replaced by something else (better?)

Sorry if these are really dumb questions. We're trying to use pg
(instead of O or SS) but we're new to it.

TIA
Petre

Neil Conway wrote:
http://pljava.sourceforge.net/

Interesting -- I did a quick search on sourceforge, but I guess it was a
bit too quick.

BTW, you can also write stored procedures in Ruby, C, and SQL.

I wasn't aware of Ruby, but I don't know how I could possibly have
forgotten to mention C and SQL!

I wonder if we shouldn't have a spot on techdocs with links to all of
the Postgres PLs all in one place? It makes for an impressive list; for
the record:

Available PostgreSQL Procedural Languages
http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/xfunc-c.html

SQL
http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/xfunc-sql.html

PL/pgSQL