Re: [GENERAL] division by zero - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: [GENERAL] division by zero
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi guys,

Was just looking around Google for similar reports of errors and came
across this:

MacOS X Server Developer Release Notes: Core OS Runtime
http://www.geminisolutions.com/WebObjects_4.5/Documentation/Developer/YellowBox/ReleaseNotes/Runtime.html

Looks like this is a known problem (as of 1998) and may not have been fixed.

Further hits come up when searching on the Apple Developer Connection
site too:

http://developer.apple.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?&q=divide+by+zero&num=10&lang=lang_en|lang_zh-CN|lang_fr|lang_de|lang_ja&ie=utf8&oe=utf8
(that should be all one line)

And this one looks potentially interesting:

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2053.html
(search in this page for "FE_ENABLE_DIVBYZERO")

Have asked the member of the Apple MacOS X Server team what he
recommends the best way to proceed is.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Eric B.Ridge wrote:
> On Saturday, March 8, 2003, at 11:54  PM, Justin Clift wrote:
>
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> 2. Consider this Apple's problem and file a bug report.
>>

>> Is there a good place to report errors to Apple for this kind of thing?
>

> The best place I can find is:
> http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/index.html
>
> Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to query existing
> reports... If there is, I can't find it.
>
> Also, I can't help but wonder why Apple/DarwinTeam handle integer
> division by zero this way.  There must be a reason, which makes me think
> that "[considering] this Apple's problem" might not work out for
> postgres in the end.
>
> eric

- Indira Gandhi