question about PERFORM and EXECUTE in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Weiping He
Subject question about PERFORM and EXECUTE in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
hi,
      I met a weird while using perform and execute in plpgsql.
    the phenomena:
    it seems PERFORM won't affect result status while doing
    SELECT ... query, but EXECUTE do.I think the docs should
    make it more clear if it's true.
    from the docs for PERFORUM:
    " This executes a SELECT query and discards the result. PL/pgSQL
variables are substituted in the query as usual. Also, the special
variable FOUND is set to true if the query produced at least one row, or
false if it produced no rows."
    I think I should FOUND variable should be false in the example
    below, but, my test shows me the opposite.

    my version:

laser_uni=# select version();
                                   version
  PostgreSQL 7.4devel on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.2.1
(1 row)

    here my test code:

---------------------------8<---------------------------------------------

drop table test;
create table test (t text);

CREATE or replace FUNCTION test()
RETURNS text
AS '
DECLARE
         prefix text;
         maxint integer;
         ret text;
         qry text;
         rows integer;

         BEGIN
         prefix := cast(date_part(\'year\', now())::integer - 1911 as
text) || lpad(date_part(\'month\', now()), 2, \'0\');
         qry := ''SELECT t FROM test where t LIKE '' ||
                 quote_literal(prefix) ||
                 ''||'' ||
                 quote_literal(''%'') ||
                 '' limit 1'';