Re: uppercase = lowercase - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Guest
Subject Re: uppercase = lowercase
Date
Re: uppercase = lowercase  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:

>On Friday 14 Feb 2003 8:51 am, jose antonio leo wrote:
>

>>Hi!!
>>
>>How can I make selects not sensitive uppercase and lowercase characters?
>>This is possible modifying something of psql configuration?
>>

>This isn't possible in a general way. If you want "Richard","RICHARD" and
>"riCHard" to all test the same you'll need to do something like.
>
>SELECT * FROM people WHERE lower(first_name)='richard';
>
>You can create an index on lower(first_name) if you need to speed things
>along.

I thought you could only create indices on fields - not on the results
of operations on those fields.
Is it truly possible to create an index on lets say upper(last_name)?

k.