Re: vacuumdb --jobs deadlock: how to avoid pg_catalog ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eduard Rozenberg
Subject Re: vacuumdb --jobs deadlock: how to avoid pg_catalog ?
Date
List pgsql-general
@Adrian thanks.

I did a test vacuum full the "normal" non-parallel way (VACUUM FULL sql) previously on a test db copy and saw the DB size (postgres 9.6) shrink from 6.8 TB to 4.4 TB of actual, real disk space usage ($ df -d 1).

I don't know the reason so much space was "locked up" (other than there is a lot of data "churn" from daily updates). But I definitely do need to do the vac full on the production db to get down to the smaller size - cannot afford the 2.4 TB of "wasted" space on an ongoing basis.

Based on your email it sounds like the vacuuming of those pg_catalog.* tables is done regardless, as a normal part of doing vac full on my own database.

Unfortunately I still don't see an ideal way to run vacuum full in parallel via vacuumdb without running into the expected and documented deadlock. Only method I'm aware of is to list each table individually with "-t table1 -t table2..." to "vacuum db --jobs" which is not pleasant and not exceedingly beautiful.

Thanks.