Can I insert Big5 Chinese from Java servlet(Tomcat) to PostgreSQL 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ¾GÁn©M
Subject Can I insert Big5 Chinese from Java servlet(Tomcat) to PostgreSQL 7.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

We are current using PostgreSQL 7.2. When we tried to upgrade to
PostgreSQL 7.3, there is a problrm in insert Chinese into database.

In PostgreSQL 7.2, we didn't enable the multibyte support. When we
created database, we used SQL_ASCII encoding. It worked fine with Tomcat
and Java servlet and can access Big5 code without problem. But in
PostgreSQL 7.3, if we created databse with SQL_ASCII or UNICODE
encoding, our data converted to Unicode automaticly. If we created
database with EUC_TW, our data converted to euc_tw.

Since we have another system, which is written by C, access the same
database. We'd like to continue accessing our database using Big5
encoding. Is there any option to do that? Can we disable the multibyte
support in PostgreSQL 7.3 just like PostgreSQL 7.2?

We are using : Linux 2.4.18, JDK 1.3.1, Tomcat 3.2.3, PostgreSQL 7.3

Thanks in advance.

Sheng-Ho Cheng.