Re: A problem about alter table - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tomasz Myrta
Subject Re: A problem about alter table
Date
List pgsql-sql
jack wrote:

> Hi, all
> I'm using postgreSQL 7.2.3. The following statement always cuases a parser
> error, "parse error at or near NOT". Please adivse, thank you in advance.
>
> ALTER TABLE _acct_group1
>     ALTER groupkey  SET NOT NULL;
>
> Jack
>From Postgres 7.2 documentation:

"In the current implementation of ADD COLUMN, default and NOT NULL
clauses for the new column are not supported. You can use the SET
DEFAULT form of ALTER TABLE to set the default later. (You may also want
to update the already existing rows to the new default value, using
UPDATE.)"

There is nothing about setting not null fields.
I think you have to create trigger instead of altering table.

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta