Re: Vacuum full - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Vacuum full
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrew Bartley wrote:

> Thanks Justin,
>
> I suppose the reason for the question is related to the limit on the number
> trans before there is a problem.

No stress.  One of the developers will be able to answer you in regards
to this.  :)  If no-one pipes up and says anything, then it's worth
asking on the PostgreSQL Hackers mailing list
(pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org).

> Regarding the static type app tables I keep referring to.  These tables are
> period based. i.e. At the end of the period these tables are loaded and
> vacuumed, then used for reporting purposes only.  In the next/new period a
> new table will be created added to/updated, then closed at the end of the
> period.  The tables are dynamically accessed using "execute" based on the
> period selected in the report criteria requested by the user from the GUI.
>
> The tables in question will never change from the point when the period is
> closed.

Ok, after they're loaded it's worth doing an ANALYZE to ensure the
planner statistics and similar are updated and made accurate.  After
that though, as they're totally static you'd be wasting your time
running VACUUM or any further ANALYZE's on them.

> Thanks for your help and info.

That's cool.  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift