Re: How to create dictionaries for tsearch - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paulo Jan
Subject Re: How to create dictionaries for tsearch
Date
List pgsql-general
Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Paulo Jan wrote:
>
> > Hi all:
> >
> >       I have read the documentation for the tsearch module, specifically the
> > part about creating custom dictionaries for different languages using
> > the "makedict.pl" script. What I don't understand, though, is where do I
> > get the lists of stopwords and endings for each language. Do I have to
>
> which languages ?

    Spanish.

> > write them myself? Is there some reference website where I can get that
> > kind of information for a given language?
> >
> Google is your friend.

    Oh, okay. And not only that, but now that I've paid more attention to
the OpenFTS site, I have seen the link to the snowball stemmers too,
including the spanish one. However...

> I'd recommend to use OpenFTS (openfts.sourceforge.net) for full text searching
> which has support for ispell dictionaries and snowball stemmers,
> which have support for spanish.

    Can I use OpenFTS to index and search databases que are not "pure
text", but only have some text fields? From what I see, I have the
impression that OpenFTS is designed to store and search text documents
(newspaper articles, papers, etc.) using a Postgres backend, while in my
case, I'm storing information (photographs and data associated to them)
that has some text fields that need to be indexed and other "normal"
fields (numeric, etc.) that don't need to be, and I need to search by
both of them; in other words, I need to do something like "SELECT * FROM
photos WHERE captionidx @@ 'angelina' AND resolution='high' AND
photodate > '01-01-2002'". Can I use OpenFTS for this kind of mixed
searches? From what I have read, I have the impression that it's a bit
cumbersome to do so.
    Alternatively, can you use the snowball stemmer only with tsearch,
without installing OpenFTS?

                        Paulo Jan.
                        DDnet.