Re: (Fwd) Re: Any Oracle 9 users? A test please... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: (Fwd) Re: Any Oracle 9 users? A test please...
Date
Re: (Fwd) Re: Any Oracle 9 users? A test please...  (Roland Roberts <roland@astrofoto.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Yury Bokhoncovich <byg@center-f1.ru> writes:
>
>>As reported by my friend:
>>Oracle 8.1.7 (ver.9 behaves the same way):
>>[ to_char(sysdate) advances in a transaction ]
>

> Now I'm really confused; this directly contradicts the report of Oracle
> 8's behavior that we had earlier from Roland Roberts.  Can someone
> explain why the different results?

Roland used an anonymous PL/SQL procedure:

SQL> begin  2  insert into rbr_foo select sysdate from dual;
[...wait about 10 seconds...]  3  insert into rbr_foo select sysdate from dual;  4  end;  5  /

SQL> select * from rbr_foo;

Oracle isn't processing those statements interactively. SQL*Plus
is waiting on the "/" to send the PL/SQL block to the database.
I suspect its not going to take Oracle more than a second to
insert a row...

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com