Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Nigel J. Andrews" wrote:
<snip>

> And it's obvious it was centred on the use of an environment variable from the
> subject line, it's still got PGXLOG in capitals in it.

Actually, to be really precise, my original email asked for an
environment variable.  But only because I'd thought about it from the
point of view of us already having a PGDATA environment variable and
hadn't considered alternatives nor seen Thomas's stuff.

Personally, I don't care if it's a -X, or an environment variable, or a
GUC option.  I'm just extremely positive that we should have an
alternative to using symlinks for this (they don't work properly on NT).

After following the discussion for a while I'm inclined to think that we
should indeed have the GUC version, and *maybe* have the environment
variable or the -X.

The only thing bad about the -X is it's ability to trash your data if
you forget it or get it wrong, and it's really easy to do in a decent
scale environment with many servers.  Marc has already suggested we
might as well have something about a particular pg_xlog directory that
PostgreSQL can use to check it's validity upon startup, so that could
solve the data damaging issue.

So, this thread has migrated away from a PGXLOG environment variable to
discuss PGXLOG in general (good or bad) and also has implementation
points too (about which people have been arguing).

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift