Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

These are Shell OLE links. As Dave points out, it requires the
shell to interpret the shortcut.

> Even if I did, iirc, unless you are using the shell api, they just
> appear to be regular files anyway (for example, in Cygwin vi, I can edit
> a shortcut to a directory).
>
> Regards, Dave.

In Windows 2000 and Windows XP with an NTFS filesystem,
Microsoft has added Reparse Points, which allow for the
implementation of symbolic links for directories. Microsoft
calls them "Junctions". I *believe* the function used for
creating reparse points is DeviceIoControl() with the
FSCTL_SET_REPARSE_POINT I/O control code. I don't have quick
access to 2K or XP, but it is clearly not supported by Win32 on
95/98/ME.

Here's a link discussing the features of NTFS5 and Reparse Points:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2kmag00/html/NTFSPart1.asp

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com