Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue
Date
Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue  (Steve Howe <howe@carcass.dhs.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Steve Howe wrote:

> Hello Bruce,
>
> Friday, September 6, 2002, 9:52:18 PM, you wrote:
>
> BM> I am not any happier about it than you are.  Your report is good because
> BM> it is the first case where returning the wrong value actually breaks
> BM> software.  You may be able to justify adding a fix during beta by saying
> BM> it is a bug fix.
> Actually I think it must have happened with someone else, but they
> must have quit using rules or something...
> Actually I can't ensure security in the system without rules.
>
> BM> Of course, someone is going to have to generate a patch and champion the
> BM> cause.  This stuff doesn't happen by magic.
> I understand your point. I just was hoping to see more concern about
> the issue by the developers... but that's been broken for months.
>
> Unhappily I can't do it myself because it would take weeks to get
> familiar with the inners of PostgreSQL...
>
> Let's hope someone realize how serious is this and make a fix.

Seems you at least realized how serious it is. Even if you cannot code
the "proper" solution, could you please make a complete table of all
possible situations and the expected returns? With complete I mean
including all combinations of rules, triggers, deferred constraints and
the like. Or do you at least see now where in the discussion we got
stuck?

It doesn't help to cry for a quick hack that fixes your particular
problem. That only leads to the situation that someday we have a final
fix that changes the behavior for your case again and then you cry again
and ask us not to break backwards compatibility.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,
Jan