Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steve Howe
Subject Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Jan,

Monday, September 9, 2002, 11:26:20 AM, you wrote:

JW> Steve Howe wrote:
>>
>> Hello Bruce,
>>
>> Friday, September 6, 2002, 9:52:18 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> BM> I am not any happier about it than you are.  Your report is good because
>> BM> it is the first case where returning the wrong value actually breaks
>> BM> software.  You may be able to justify adding a fix during beta by saying
>> BM> it is a bug fix.
>> Actually I think it must have happened with someone else, but they
>> must have quit using rules or something...
>> Actually I can't ensure security in the system without rules.
>>
>> BM> Of course, someone is going to have to generate a patch and champion the
>> BM> cause.  This stuff doesn't happen by magic.
>> I understand your point. I just was hoping to see more concern about
>> the issue by the developers... but that's been broken for months.
>>
>> Unhappily I can't do it myself because it would take weeks to get
>> familiar with the inners of PostgreSQL...
>>
>> Let's hope someone realize how serious is this and make a fix.

JW> Seems you at least realized how serious it is. Even if you cannot code
"At least" ?... What do you mean by that ?

JW> the "proper" solution, could you please make a complete table of all
JW> possible situations and the expected returns? With complete I mean
JW> including all combinations of rules, triggers, deferred constraints and
JW> the like. Or do you at least see now where in the discussion we got
JW> stuck?
I had seen and the proposal was posted two days ago.

JW> It doesn't help to cry for a quick hack that fixes your particular
JW> problem. That only leads to the situation that someday we have a final
JW> fix that changes the behavior for your case again and then you cry again
JW> and ask us not to break backwards compatibility.
See, I'm not crying. I'm just another user who needs something
working. The whole problem was that the PostgreSQL knew the problem
existed, had a brief discussion on the subject, and couldn't reach an
agreement. That's ok for me, I understand... but releasing versions
known to be broken is something I can't understand.

Best regards,Steve Howe                           mailto:howe@carcass.dhs.org