Re: Inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Inheritance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> Actually, I think you'll find that once a PostgreSQL DBA gets to
> the point of designing a sufficently complex schema that inheritance
> might be useful, they quickly bump up against the lack of index and
> constraint spanning (most notably, referential integrity), and stop
> right there. This means that there is little community experience with
> the existing implementation, beyond the OO die hards. ;-)

I'd have to agree wholeheartedly with this, because this was exactly my
experience the one time I wanted to use inherited tables.

FWIW, one thought I've had before related to inheritance (but pretty
much orthognal to this discussion) is this: if inheritance included
shared indexes and constraints, we would be not too far from having
Oracle style table partitioning.

Joe