Re: [ADMIN] Connecting via SSL not working (except from psql) - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Barry Lind
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Connecting via SSL not working (except from psql)
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
We are certainly interested in any patches once you are done.  I don't
know about anyone else that is working on this currently.

thanks,
--Barry

Paul Legato wrote:

> Hi Magnus,
>
> Thanks for the help. I'll take a look at fe-connect.c and see if I can
> get my JDBC driver working.
>
> Is anyone within the Postgres project currently adding SSL support to
> JDBC? Anyone interested in the patches once I get everything working?
>
> -Paul
>

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> SSL is not enabled at connection time in pgsql - it is negotiatied with
>> the postmaster, and enabled later. You need to send a correctly
>> formatted start message in clear text to the postmaster to initiate the
>> SSL negotiation first, and turn on SSL after that (assuming the
>> postmaster reports that SSL is Ok).
>> This is done so the postmaster can listen for both SSL and non-SSL
>> connections on the same port.
>>
>> Take a look at how libpq does it. In 7.1.3, it starts at line 963 in
>> interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c. (Sorry, don't have the source to a
>> newer version around right now - look
>> for comment on 'Attempt to negotiate SSL usage').
>>
>> //Magnus

>>> 25870:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown