Re: SQL server application porting headache - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oskar Berggren
Subject Re: SQL server application porting headache
Date
List pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 08:44:50PM +0200, Oskar Berggren wrote:
>
>>I have tried this and it seems to work for the query i mentioned in
>>my original posting, which is as expected since that one actually
>>use correct capitalization. However, shortly afterwards the
>>application issue the query:
>>
>>  SELECT "PassWord" FROM "Operators" WHERE Name='...' AND Password='...';
>>
>>Since the column is called PassWord, you can see why I'm feeling
>>I bit down right now...
>

> Would it not be easier if the code simply lowercased everything, including
> quoted identifiers. This is totally wrong but will produce the effect you
> want (unless ofcourse, the names of the output columns important).

I thought so too and tried it, since this is very easy to do. However,
then for some reason the application couldn't find a table - again. It
turns out the ODBC driver is doing some name comparising too, which of
course fails if the table is really named using any other case than
what the application specifies. I'm using the closed-source driver
from openlinksw.com. Not sure if you can make it ignore case. Perhaps
I will look into this.

regards,
Oskar

--