Re: SQL server application porting headache - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oskar Berggren
Subject Re: SQL server application porting headache
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Oskar Berggren <beo@sgs.o.se> writes:
>
>>     2.  With the openlink ODBC driver I succesfully got the application
>>         to connect to the database. But now I run into case-sensitivity
>>         problems. The first query that fail look like this:
>

>>         SELECT "OperatorID" FROM "IntParams" WHERE OperatorID=0;
>>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^
>>                                                   notice no quotes here
>

> They expect that to work?  AFAICS, that will be broken in any database
> that is anywhere remotely close to SQL spec compliant.  If the quoted
> form works then the stored column name must be mixed-case, and that
> means that it can *not* be accessed with an unquoted reference.

Maybe so, but it obviously work with MS Access and MS SQL Server. Though
I am not surprised that those products are less specific concerning
case. Normally I don't condone such behavior, but in this case I need
to get this working without changing/correcting the client application.

I have been looking at the parser somewhat and I have located the
conversion to lowercase in the flex source code. It seems fairly
easy to do this conversion even in the case of a quoted identifier. In
fact, I'm just about to install a modified version of PostgreSQL. Or
is there some other reason this won't work?

regards,
Oskar