Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Notion:
> Have one version do both.  Your server can fork(), and your sever can
> thread.  It can fork() and thread, it can fork() or thread.
> That gives the best of all worlds.  One client who has his attachments
> to a database all setup might want to do a bunch of similar queries.
> Hence a threaded model is nice.
> A server may be set up to clone the rights of the attaching process for
> security reasons.  Then you launch a new server with fork().

Right. If/when that is possible then let's do it, as long as the cost is
not too high. But the intermediate steps are a possibility also, and are
not precluded from discussion.

This will all work out as a *convergence* of interests imho. And there
is no great identifiable benefit for our current crop of platforms for
going to a threaded model *unless* that enables queries for a single
client to execute in parallel (all imho of course ;).

So our convergence of interests for all platforms is in enabling
threading for these two purposes, and focusing on enabling the
multithreaded single client *first* means that the current crop of
clients don't have to accept all negatives while we start on the road to
better support of Win32 machines.
                 - Thomas