Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> > Like I told Marc, I don't care. You spec out what you want and I'll write it
> > for Windows.
> >
> > That being said, a SysV IPC interface for native Windows would be kind of cool
> > to have.
>
> I am wondering why we don't just use the Cygwin shm/sem code in our
> project, or maybe the Apache stuff; why bother reinventing the wheel.

I have not been participating on the list, I don't know why I'm still receiving
mail.

but! in the course of testing some code, I managed to gain some experience with
cygwin. I have seen fork() problems with a large number of processes.

For PostgreSQL to be as good on Windows as it is on UNIX, it has to be a native
program without cygwin. The shared memory and semaphore management should be
done with the postmaster process.

The apache stuff is OK, it is just as good as anything else. You may be able to
use critical sections in shared memory to implement a fast semaphore, but that
would take a bit experimentation.

I think what Tom had in mind is to take out the SysV and various OS specific
APIs and replace them with a more generic one, behind which, you guys can tune
the implementation.