Re: pgAdmin2 to be included in Dev-C++ - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: pgAdmin2 to be included in Dev-C++
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Le Vendredi 10 Mai 2002 15:33, mlw a écrit :
> > The first time it doesn't work because of anti-virus software, they'll call
> > it junk. When they test performance and see that it sucks, they'll remove
> > the software.
>
> Dear Mark,
>
> PostgreSQL will work well if cygwin.dll is compiled in a separate workspace
> and installed under C:/program files/postgresql and hidden from users.  I
> agree it will not be able to serve a 50 TPS system.

Then what is the point?

> Furthermore : MySQL sucks, Windoze sucks and Microsoft is violating our
> private rights everyday. So if you care for freedom, we are going to release
> this f****** Cygwin minimal installer.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if Windows were no longer around. I think a
cygwin version of PostgreSQL will not further your objective. Windows users
will not be seeing the cream of the crop, they will be seeing a quick and dirty
hack. In the words of Martin Luther King, Excellence is the best revenge.

The risk you are taking is this: If you rush out a cygwin version of PostgreSQL
there may be a lasting impression that PostgreSQL is of poor quality.

How will Windows developers create C language function extensions? Using cygwin
and gcc as well? These guys can't do crap without VisualStudio.

Seriously, don't do it. Please don't do it. If we want to make a serious
presence in the Windows market, it is better to take our time and do it well or
not at all.

> Don't you think my friend? Noone will complain about it. Do you see
> demonstrations in the street against Microsoft? The answer is no.
>
> Therefore, I believe noone will complain about a minimal Cygwin + PostgreSQL
> installer. This will only be the beginning of a complete Windows port.

I completely disagree. Let me ask you. Have you ever used Windows? I mean as
your primary system? Have you ever thrilled at getting something new for your
Windows system? (Like you do with you current system.)

I'm not ashamed to admit I used to love Windows. Before Linux was usable, and
before FreeBSD was unencumbered, it was the best system a user could get for
the money. Windows was fun, especially if you had the SDK/DDK and knew how to
use it.

Think about Linux and Wine. Linux users do not like Wine applications, no
matter how hidden they are. Franken-wine they are called, and fail quickly.
Look at CorelDraw, a miserable failure. Cygwin on Windows is analogous to Wine
on Linux.

A native PostgreSQL on Windows would rock the Windows world. It would kick
MSSQL's butt for many applications. I think you underestimate Windows and
Windows users if you think a cygwin version will satisfy them. The mistake is
thinking that they are the ignorant unwashed masses that so many UNIX people
seem to think they are.