Re: Issues tangential to win32 support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: Issues tangential to win32 support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dann Corbit wrote:
> Our package avoids Cygwin altogether.  We wrote our own POSIX layer from
> scratch, and we junked fork() for CreateProcess() {and inserted copious:
> #ifdef ICKY_WIN32_KLUDGE
> /* our code goes here */
> #else
> /* Standard UNIX code goes here */
> #endif

OK, what sorts of things did you do in your ICKY_WIN32_KLUDGE? Were they ever
migrated back into the main tree? Did you simulate fork() or a stand-alone?

I know Windows very well, but I have thus far remained ignorant of PostgreSQL
internals.

> It's complete, and it performs like the burning blue blazes.  We have
> run the full PostgreSQL test suite to completion with success.  However,
> before we release any SQL tool, we have our own test suite with tens of
> thousands of tests to perform.  Hence, we won't have a release until
> June at the earliest.
>
> I think the Japanese one also does not use Cygwin (but I have not tried
> installing it yet).

The japanese site claims cygwin.