Re: OK, lets talk portability. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: OK, lets talk portability.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> On 7 May 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> > > Right offhand, that seems a pointless exercise in relabeling code that's
> > > going to be the same either way.  What's the actual value?

> > > I think you are confusing issues that are now private to the SysV sema
> > > implementation with things that you really need to do for Windows.
> > > Take a look at port/posix_sema.c for a less cluttered view of the
> > > semantics you actually need to support.  (I don't suppose there's any
> > > chance that Gates & Co support POSIX semas, leaving you with no work?)
> >
> > A quick google search acme up with
> >
> >  http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/announcement.html
>
> Damn ... doesn't implement fork(), but does implement semaphores :)
> Sooooo close :)

Windows has semaphores, and looking at Tom's API, this is the least of our
problems.

If we can come up with a fork() free PostgreSQL, the rest is easy.

We need to come up with a set of macros and function API that handle:

Native file operations.
Process control
Shared memory, semaphores, and other IPC
Sockets (Some Windows specific crap will need to be written, but the berkeley
API is fine)
System interface, sync(), fdatasync() and such.