OK, lets talk portability. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject OK, lets talk portability.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
As I set out to do the Windows semaphore thing, I notice it can get quite ugly.

In the current CVS directory, there is pgsql/src/backend/port directory.

I propose that this become a separate subproject and library. The reason I want
this is because the semaphore support, specifically multiple semaphores
identified by a single key, has to be implemented with shared memory and
multiple semaphores. (Under Windows)

I also have to look at "ownership" issues with Windows processes and shared
objects. They may need to be own be a more persistent/independent module, a
DLL.

By creating a library like "libpgport.a" (or on Windows pgport.dll/pgport.lib)
little has to be changed for various ports. If we don't have the library then
the discrete object filed would need to be specified. The library will give the
port writer a greater amount of flexibility.

Comments?