Coster/planner and edge cases... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Loftis
Subject Coster/planner and edge cases...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
OK I know it's been beaten nearly to death, but no clear action has come
of it quite yet.  We all seem to agree that there is some non-optimal
way in which the planner handles edge cases (cost wise).  I don't
believe that there are any fundamental type faults in any of the logic
because we'd have much more major problems.  Instead I'd like to
investigate these edge cases where the planner chooses sub-optimal cases
and see if there is anythign that can be done about it.

No clue if I can cause any help or not yet, just something I'm going ot
be looking into.  The reason I'm writing though is I need data samples
and queries that evoke the non-optimal responses (IE choosing the wrong
plan) in order to look into it.

Also I'd also like to know if there is a way to get the planner to burp
out all the possible plans it considered before selecting a final plan
or do I need to do a little surgery to get that done?

TIA guys!

Michael Loftis

BTW I'm not masochistic, I'm just out of work and BORED :)