Re: Coster/planner and edge cases... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Coster/planner and edge cases...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Loftis <mloftis@wgops.com> writes:
> Also I'd also like to know if there is a way to get the planner to burp
> out all the possible plans it considered before selecting a final plan
> or do I need to do a little surgery to get that done?

You can define OPTIMIZER_DEBUG but the interface leaves a lot to be
desired (output to backend stdout, no way to turn it on or off except
recompile...)  Also, I believe all you will see are the paths that
survived the initial pruning done by add_path.  This is about the
right level of detail for examining join choices, but perhaps not very
helpful for why-didn't-it-use-my-index choices; the paths you wanted
to know about may not have got into the relation's candidate-path list
in the first place.