Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Loftis
Subject Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE
Date
Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
I know I know, replying to myself is bad and probably means I'm going
insane but thought of one other thing...

Realistically the system should choos *ANY* index over a sequential
table scan.  Above a fairly low number of records any indexed query
should be much faster than a seqscan.  Am I right, or did I miss
something?  (wouldn't be the first time I missed something)...  Right
now the planner seems to think that index queries are more expensive
with a larger width than doing a seqscan on (possibly) more rows with a
narrower width.