Re: contrib/dblink update - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: contrib/dblink update
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
>
>>On a somewhat unrelated topic, I never got any feedback on the
>>unknownin/out patch and the mb_substring patch. Is there anything else I
>>need to do to get those applied?
>

> In my mind, the unknownin/out business was waiting on commentary from
> Tatsuo or Hiroshi on whether it was a bug for the TEXT code to be
> rejecting byte sequences that had got by the initial pq_getstr
> conversion.  If it is, then we should be fixing TEXT not adding new code
> for UNKNOWN.  But if TEXT's behavior is considered desirable then we'll
> need to change UNKNOWN.

OK -- I did think you wanted to change unknown regardless, so that it
would not alter the input C string in any way. The patch is basically
just that, textin/textout with the multibyte and recode code stripped out.

> Is the mb patch the one that fixes John Gray's oversight in substring?
> If so, I thought that was due to be applied.  Bruce, were you going to
> do that?

Yes -- this patch fixed the MB handling in substring and was approved by
John.

Thanks,

Joe