Re: help with bison - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: help with bison
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The other day there was a discussion around the fact that X'ffff' will
> get converted into an integer constant...
> ... while SQL99 says that this syntax *should* be used to specify a
> "binary string". It looks like the hex-to-integer magic actually occurs
> in the lexer, and then the integer value of 65535 is passed to the
> parser as an ICONST. I'm wondering if changing the lexer to make this a
> conversion to a properly escaped bytea input string, and passing it to
> the parser as a string constant would speed things up?

What else is described as a "binary string" in the spec? I would have
guessed that this would map to a bit field type (and maybe even had
looked it up at one time).

Is B'00010001' also described as a "binary string" also, or is it more
explicitly tied to bit fields?
                   - Thomas