Re: Suggestion for optimization - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Barry Lind
Subject Re: Suggestion for optimization
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Af far as I know Oracle doesn't have any short cut (along the lines of
what is being discussed in this thread) for this operation.  However
Oracle is more efficient in providing the answer than postgres currently
is.  While postgres needs to perform a full scan on the table, Oracle
will only need to perform a full index scan on the primary key if one
exists.  Since the index will likely have much less data than the full
table this will result in fewer IOs and be faster than what postgres
does, but it still takes a while for large tables even in Oracle.

thanks,
--Barry