Re: PostgreSQL the right choice? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincent Stoessel
Subject Re: PostgreSQL the right choice?
Date
List pgsql-general
Marshall Spight wrote:
> "Richard Chrenko" <richard@solarenergy.ch> wrote in message news:3C8EF7D7.1003ECC3@solarenergy.ch...
>
>>MySQL looks like it's free until you want to bundle it with a commercial
>>application, at which time license fees are required. What is the
>>situation with PostgreSQL?
>

> That's not why you want to avoid MySQL. You want to avoid MySQL
> because it's underpowered. No transactions, no foreign keys, no subselects,
> etc. etc.

Why is there so much mysql bashing?
I like postgresql too but I don't have to put down mysql
to justify using it.
Mysql is a simple, fast database that is quite solid from my experience.
It is usually my first choice as a web backend  for php/jsp  based websites.

I usually use postgresql on system based projects (usually in perl )
where I really need to use foreign keys and tranactions and  the
loss of data would be a very expensive thing.

The current version of mysql does have foreign keys and transactions
available via the new innodb table type. I have not used it production
yet, but I am testing them.

--
Vincent Stoessel vincent@xaymaca.com
Linux and Java Application Developer