Re: [GENERAL] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda in - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda in
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 09:54:04AM -0600, Greg Copeland wrote:
>
>>I'm new to the list but I'm going to speak up anyways.  Being a core
>>developer on several other projects, I feel that it's important to point
>>

> Welcome. It might have served you better to read some of the archives,
> before judging how this community and it's core developers interact.

Sorry.  Didn't mean for it to sound like I was judging the group.  I was
only trying to state observations as I've seen them so far and offer a
suggestion.  I thought I was being constructive.

>>out that both comments are valid here.  As a core developer, I certainly

[snip]

>>forum.  After all, it's well understood that a degree of p2p interaction
>>is often very helpful and tends to be even more so as the complexity of
>>the topic grows.
>>

> Well, the advantage of the mailing list is that it _is_ a (semi) public
> forum: the core developer's time spent answering questions gets multiplied
> by the number of potenetial developers listening. And there are archives!
>
> <snip benefits of tutoring>
>
> Well, if you go check the archives (there's that word again) you'll see
> that the core developers, and Tom Lane in particular, do a _lot_ of this
> kind of tutoring. Both at the initial stage of chosing where to start,
> and later, with good feedback of proposed patches.

Actually, I have been reading the archives ALOT!  Since they are not
searchable (searches for me result in nothing happening) it greatly
limits the accessibility and thusly the usability of them.  As a result
I've been having to manually browse and read  various threads to see if
they pertain to anything I'm interested in.  Sorry.

[snip]

>>Now, I'm not saying we should move away from the mailing list, rather,
>>I'm saying that the core developers way want to reconsider how some
>>requests for help are answered and maybe even consider other forms of
>>complimentary communication.  Doesn't a hour of a core developers time
>>in trade for multiple increase in productivity of another developer seem
>>like a good trade?
potentialcoders are listening?>

Yes and no, depending on the topic and complexity at hand.  Not to
mention complex conversations that can take weeks to address in email
can often be addressed in minutes via more interactive mechanisms.

> And your more likely to get an answer from _some_ core developer if you
> contact them _all_, via the lists. It's a bit rude to go looking for help,
> and _insisiting_ on personal service: either direct email or (worse) IRC,
> which demands _realtime_ interaction. If the expert suggests changing the
> mode of interaction, that's fine.

Hmmm.  I didn't think I was asking for personalized service.  In my mind
I thought I was offering a possible suggestion to a common issue
(supported by the archives, yes that word again, and a timely posting)
which was seemingly not well received.

I'll go back and hide in my cave now. :)

Greg