Re: [GENERAL] [Fwd: MS SQL compatible functions] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: [GENERAL] [Fwd: MS SQL compatible functions]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Ian,

A compatibility has already been considered for Oracle, you're
mentioning one for MS SQL Server.

Maybe it's time to think about how an abstraction layer could be added,
and then appropriate Oracle/Sybase/Informix/MSSQL/etc
modules/plug-ins/layers could be added to that?

Wonder how much work it would take?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Ian Harding wrote:

> This is something that would be wonderful to have, a mapping of PostgreSQL functions to MSSQL Server functions.  In
fact,I have been fantasizing about a compatibility module that would allow SQL Server applications to think they were
talkingto MSSQL Server when they were really talking to PG.  That is a huge job, but my how many more people would
convert!

> In the meantime, you will have to dump schema, twiddle them to meet PosgtreSQL requirements, and run them to
re-createyour db.  Your app will have to be re-written to some degree as well.