Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fernando Nasser
Subject Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Fernando Nasser <fnasser@redhat.com> writes:
> > Switches set to historical:
>
> >   schema search path = (user's own schema, "any" schema, postgres)
>
> >   [ default creation schema = user's own schema ]
>
> > The searching in "any" schema (i.e., any owner) will let will find
> > things that where defined the way they are today, i.e., possibly
> > by several different users.
>
> No, it won't, because nothing will ever get put into that schema.
> (At least not by existing pg_dump scripts, which are the things that
> really need to see the historical behavior.)  The
> default-creation-schema variable has got to point at any/public/
> whatever-we-call it, or you do not have the historical behavior.

You did not understand what I meant by "any".  It is not a schema
called "any".  It is _any_ schema.

Example:

A creates a table (do not specify the schema) so it gets into
the schema named A (as per standard).

B refers to the table without qualifying it...

In the standard case:  look into schema B (=> not found), not in
postgres either.
ERROR: Inv. relation     As the standard requires.

In the historical mode:  look into schema B (=> not found), look into
ANY
schema (finds it in A).  Works as it is today.

Note that I only suggest looking in B first (in the historical case)
because
this will allow for the coexistence of the current mode with a
quasi-compliant
use of SQL-Schemas.  You only need to change the switch if you want
strict
compliance.

--
Fernando Nasser