Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fernando Nasser <fnasser@redhat.com> writes:
> In the historical mode:  look into schema B (=> not found), look into
> ANY schema (finds it in A).  Works as it is today.

No, it doesn't work the same as today, because in that implementation
both A and B can create the same tablename without complaint.  It then
becomes very unclear which instance other people will get (unless your
"any" placeholder somehow implies a search order).

The idea of being able to put an "any" placeholder into the search list
is an interesting one, though.  If we can resolve the ambiguity problem
it might be a useful feature.

I am a little troubled by the idea of placing "any" before the system
schema (what if JRandomLuser creates a table named "pg_class"?) but it
might be workable at the tail end of the path.