Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL (Can't take anymore! Make it - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL (Can't take anymore! Make it
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hey guys, I think we have three camps here.

(1) BSD camp.
(2) GPL Camp.
(3) Moderates.

The BSD camp wants to promote the BSD license and the philosophy. There is
nothing wrong with this, but I think it has to be acknowledged.

The GPL camp can't understand how anyone would not use GPL for an open source
project. So many evil companies from whom to protect one's self.

The Moderates are in between.

I am personally uncomfortable with promoting the BSD license. It is a good
license, yes, but I think it is too open, and does lend itself to corporate
abuse.

I am equally uncomfortable in promoting the GPL. I think it is way too radical
and attempts to be too viral.

Can't we just say that PostgreSQL uses the BSD license for historical reasons,
and without any absolute consensus amongst the developers, there is no reason
to change? I think that is a very reasonable middle of the road approach,
without getting into the GPL/BSD bashing.

I think it is abundantly clear that PostgreSQL is bigger than the license
debate, and that many people with different views on it, are willing to accept
the status quo to develop for it.

Does any one really see any reason to debate this? BSD people won't change
their minds and the GPL people will continue to push for GPL.