Re: mysql-pgsql comparison - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: mysql-pgsql comparison
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Tom,

It definitely works under Linux for PostgreSQL 7.1.x.  BUT, as you can
see the code is fairly simple and I don't believe it would be too hard
to make it far more cross-platform.  In fact, with OSDB this is what is
wanted.

BTW - If anyone has patches for it they'd like to have committed, I'm an
official developer for it (username "Vapour") with CVS commit access.

Andy Riebs, the guy who is in charge of it is a nice guy and I'm sure
would allow you and experienced others to commit to CVS.  He's just
short of time, the same as I.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
> > 3. Check out the OSDB benchmark more closely.
>
> > I tried it with  current CVS and make test fails (didn't tried
> > to find what's the problem). Also, you have to edit configure script -
> > it tries to find postgres_fe.h in include directory, which now lives under
> > include/internal directory.
>
> I tried to build it on HPUX just now, and was rather sadly disillusioned
> about its portability.  After fixing several problems in the configure
> script, removing hard-coded references to include files and libraries
> that don't exist here, etc, I ended up with
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/tgl/tmp/osdb/src/callable-sql/postgres-call'
> gcc -L/home/postgres/testversion/lib -lpq -g  osdb-pg.o ../callable-sql.o ../../program-control.o ../../osdb.o   -o
osdb-pg
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
>    forkpty (code)
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Anybody know what forkpty() does?  I see it exists in libutil.a on Linux,
> but there's no man page for it.
>
> Oh, OSDB also seems to assume that ecpg is in your $PATH.  In general,
> it's not prepared to deal with a Postgres that's not installed in the
> "standard" place.
>
> This thing needs some work :-(

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi