Re: mysql-pgsql comparison - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: mysql-pgsql comparison
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure how long MySQL will be "non-transactional" and stuff for.

They have a version 4.0x out the door.  Whilst it's still beta status,
they're recommending it for production use  :

http://www.mysql.com/products/mysql-4.0/index.html

Consider me concerned.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

mlw wrote:

> I am more concerned with the PHP/MySQL connection. It seems like it is a
> defacto grouping. Engineers I know, who do not know SQL, will just use MySQL
> because "everyone else does."
>
> Invariably, MySQL (at first) seems like a good decision, then they have to do a
> complex query. MySQL just can not execute the queries that a real SQL database
> can. If an engineer does not know SQL, he will walk away thinking SQL is a
> limiting environment.
>
> An contractor came on to the company with a solid MySQL background. He was a
> bright guy, but we are an Oracle/PostgreSQL shop. More than a few times, I had
> to rewrite his code to use the SQL engine with a more complex, but overall more
> efficient, query. His response is always, "Wow I didn't know you could do
> that."
>
> The word that needs to be heard is that a real SQL database is easier than a
> simplistic SQL-like environment such as MySQL. I have tried several projects
> with MySQL and have never been able to finish them with it, because MySQL is
> just too limited.

> http://archives.postgresql.org

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi