Re: mysql-pgsql comparison - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: mysql-pgsql comparison
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> > 1. Actually run the MySQL benchmark, to see what's wrong with it.  (Note
> > that this is not the crashme test.)
>
> This would be a worthwhile thing to try, just to see if it exposes any
> PG weaknesses we didn't already know about.  I have run crashme in the
> past (not recently though); but I've never found time for their
> benchmark.

Well, I attempted to run the benchmark today, and it's not dissimilar to
crashme in the sense that a) it tends to crash, and b) it's quite useless.
It's the same single-user "run select a whole bunch of times" sort of
thing that's not really interesting anymore.  The MySQL 4.0 server was
consistently killed by the kernel during this test.  The stable
3.something version didn't quite work either because of some "unknown
errors", so I only got some tests to run.  But when was the last time
someone actually cared about the speed of alter table or drop index?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net