mysql-pgsql comparison - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Meskes
Subject mysql-pgsql comparison
Date
Re: mysql-pgsql comparison  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I just read one of those MySQL-PGSQL comparison on a German Linux magazine
that's not exactly known to be well informed. :-)

This article really cries for a reply. Here are some extracts:

The only benchmarks that everyone can download for free to test MySQL
versus PostgreSQL are the MySQL benchmarks.
This benchmark suite is pretty old and was tuned over the years to be as
fair as possible to PostgreSQL.
The results show a huge difference between PostgreSQL and MySQL.
The MySQL developers tried to make the benchmarks as fair as possible.
Unfortunately PostgreSQL never answered to the repeated questions about
optimal tuning.

Since this is not the first kind stuff like that comes up, I wonder if we
have some kind of standard answer. I for one don't like to read that kind of
FUD about us.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes