Re: mysql-pgsql comparison - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: mysql-pgsql comparison
Date
articles [was: mysql-pgsql comparison]  (Bear Giles <bear@coyotesong.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Le Dimanche 13 Janvier 2002 09:53, Michael Meskes a écrit :
> The MySQL developers tried to make the benchmarks as fair as possible.
> Unfortunately PostgreSQL never answered to the repeated questions about
> optimal tuning.

Yeah. This article was probably written directly by the MySQL team. This is
what you learn in the computing business. If you want someting published ..
write it yourself and invite the journalist in a restaurant. I did it 2 or 3
times when working for a telecommunication company.

Don't worry about the results of such an article. It is simply not possible
to benchmark MySQL against PostgreSQL because MySQL lacks many PostgreSQL
features. A serious user immediatly understands this.

Lately I resigned from the MySQL list with some comment like "sorry I use
PostgreSQL". Monthy replied me with a series of ready-made-emails explaining
why MySQL was superior and all this crap. When you think MySQL is not a
transactional database, it makes you laught. I had to send hime emails like
"Thank you for this answer and Happy new year" and all this stuff to stop the
spam.

The point of view is : MySQL is just a trademark and a marketing sofware.
Monthy is prepared to spend hours selling his crap.

Why don't you start a mailing list for "Propaganda" and "Public relations".
It should be possible to meet the main journalists and contact them on
regular basis with ready-to-publish articles.

With a network of one person by country (US, Canada, France,Germany, Italy)
you would improve dramaticaly the presence of PostgreSQL in the world. It is
not difficult to have articles published ...

Bes regards,
Jean-Michel POURE