Re: psql: default base and password reading - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: psql: default base and password reading
Date
List pgsql-patches
Adam Osuchowski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> in attachment I enclose patch on psql which fix two things:
>
> 1. If no database was given, template1 is assumed.

Does this change the current behavior of assuming a database name which
is the same as the user's account name? I'm not sure why the new
behavior is better.

> 2. Password is reading from terminal (/dev/tty) rather than from stdin. It
> was usable when we want to pipe sql script on psql and have set password at
> the same time. It may be turned off, by pass -i option to psql. Then, psql
> behave normally, like it is currently.

Interesting. Is this technique portable to other platforms (just asking;
I'm not sure myself)?

                     - Thomas