Re: Serialize - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Barry Lind
Subject Re: Serialize
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Dave,

I share your concerns about this functionality.  In fact last month I
wrote the following in response to a patch to this functionality.

I wouldn't mind this being pulled out of the main code line for now and
moved to contrib until it becomes more robust.

 >>Robert,
 >>

 >>Thanks for the patch.  While I didn't review it too closely, what I
 >>saw seemed fine.
 >>
 >>However, I have concerns about the feature as a whole, which really
 >>has nothing to do with your patch.
 >>
 >>I don't like the approach taken here for serialization.  It seems to
 >>me that this is a half baked attempt to reimplement native java
 >>serialization.  Why not just use java serialization to do what it was
 >>intended for?  We could then store the results of the serialization in
 >>a bytea column, or a LargeObject, or even in a separate table as is
 >>done here.  However, I am unsure of the desireabilty of creating these
 >>additional tables.  The bigest reason I don't like the additional
 >>tables is that the serialized objects don't ever get deleted.
 >>
 >>To the extent that this is documented, I think the feature should be
 >>marked as experimental with a caution that it may be changed in major
 >>non-backwardly compatible ways in the future.
 >>
 >>thanks,
 >>--Barry

There are two areas in the current code that I am uncomfortable with.
This serialize code and the code in org/postgresql/xa.  Have you looked
at the xa code?

thanks,
--Barry