Re: VB 6 pro to postgres suggestion needed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrea Aime
Subject Re: VB 6 pro to postgres suggestion needed
Date
List pgsql-general
You should use ADO objects, in particular ADO.Connection and
ADO.recordset, maybe also ADO.Command. Connection represents
a connection to the database and can execute queries and transactions,
Recordset can be thought as a cursor. The you can bind it directly
to visual controls... something like this:

Private conn As ADODB.Connection
Private rec As ADODB.Recordset

Private Sub Form_Load()
  Set conn = New Connection
  conn.CursorLocation = adUseClient
  conn.ConnectionString = "DSN=PersonDatabase"
  conn.Open

  Set rec = conn.Execute("SELECT name, surname FROM person")
  Set txtName.DataSource = rec
  Set txtName.DataField = "name"
  Set txtSurname.DataChanged = rec
  Set txtSurname.DataField = "surname"

  ' If you want to move to the next record of you "cursor"
  rec.MoveNext
  ' If you want to move to the previous record of your "cursor"
  rec.MovePrevious
End Sub

Of course you should install the ODBC driver, set a Data Source Name
in ODBC properties and reference ADO from your project.
Hope this helps
Andrea Aime