Re: Pre-forking backend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Darren Johnson
Subject Re: Pre-forking backend
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Once we have schemas (7.3, I hope), I think a lot of installations will
> have only one production database.  However, if we were going to do this
> what we'd probably do is allow the DBA to configure the postmaster to
> start N pre-forked backends per database, where N can depend on the
> database.  There's no reason to limit it to just one database.

The optimized version of Postgres-R uses pre-forked backends for
handling remote
write sets.  It currently uses one user/database, so I'm all for having
a configurable
parameter for starting a pool of backends for each database.  We'll have
to make sure
that number * the number of databases is lower than the max number of
backends at
start up.

Darren