Re: Developing a forms based web application - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Weaver
Subject Re: Developing a forms based web application
Date
List pgsql-novice

> To wrap up, this might be a radical vision, but to me it appears the
> future currently lies in Java and .Net, each with its own set
> of +s and
> -s. Since .Net is not portable and not scalable, and is in fact a
> Windows-based copy of Java, I stay a staunch supporter of Java.

Mono (http://www.go-mono.com/) is very much a portable version of dotNet - check it out it's really impressive!
(i'm not trying to get into a dotNet-Vs-Java thread, so let's not start ;)

Steve, i'm not sure what you exactly want, so let me see if I get this straight.
You have a Access DB app has had the backend ported to PostgreSQL.
You want to add functionality to this to allow this application to be accessable via the web. -( web'ise it )
You need to find out about DB application tools to do this. -( rewrite it )

So...
Have you looked into dotNet? - writting web applications is as easy as writting a VB applications.
- All the client side Javascript and server side ASP can be automatically created for you.

Staying with VB, (in one form or another is probably a lot less work that a total rewrite in PHP, Perl, Java, et.al.

Maybe even keep the code you've got,
I have not used the latest Version of MS Access but I would be suprised if it didn't allow you to do the same. - publish/covert to a web application.

Mike Weaver.