Some questions on using arrays. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Uemlianin
Subject Some questions on using arrays.
Date
List pgsql-general
Dear People

I'm finding Postgres very useful with its support for non-atomic
data-types.  I have a couple of questions about setting up and
querying arrays.

If this kind of thing is more for pgsql-novice, please let me know.

Questions refer to the following table.

create table bar ( id serial, links int4[] )

  id |  links
----+---------
   1 | {2,3,4}
   2 | {3,4,5}
   3 | {4,5,6}
   4 | {5,6,7}
   5 | {6}
   6 | {4,5,7}
   7 | {1,3,5}

1. How do I query the contents of an array?  For the example table I'd
    like to say something like 'select * from bar where links contains
    5', but operators like in, @ and ~ don't seem to work.

2. Imagine the table is a directed graph (e.g. a map of one-way
    streets between locations).  I'd like to have each element of links
    to be a reference to id (or a similar field in another table).

Any help or comments appreciated, thank you.

Ivan Uemlianin